Wednesday, July 16, 2008

About Me

A little about me: In late 2006, I started eating raw vegan food exclusively. During part of this time, while implementing certain practices and excluding some foods, I experienced what many raw fooders refer to as “synchronicity.” This experience was the tip of the iceberg; the joy, “miracles,” intuition, and mental clarity were all achieved, benefits I plan to achieve again. Again? That must means she stopped. Yes, that’s what happened. Only recently have I begun to understand why I stopped.

Lately, I've been able to look at the practices or lack thereof and realize..such and such made it soooo easy, while this and that was my road back to worry, and the desire to quell that worry with emotion suppressing foods. And, so, when I write here, I can’t just leave the discussion at diet. Being able to sustain what I call, the most spiritually enabling version of “raw foods” lifestyle, is not about determination. It’s about being in sync with the balanced state of mind, and higher quality emotions which a lack of cell defiling foods requires. Fortunately, nature does most of the work for us.

By mirroring your biorhythms to those of your environment you can get rid of cravings, and quickly develop distaste for all your old favorites. I clearly remember putting pieces of various breads and french fries in my mouth, and being disgusted each time. Bread tasted like cardboard. Fries made me think of a mix of cotton and styrofoam soaked in oil. And, shrimp? Shrimp tasted like rubber. Oddly enough, the only type of meat which I'd truly loved prior to raw, disgusted me so much that the taste sent me right back to a vegan lifestyle. After months of ripe melons, fasting, deep breathing, walking, sun exposure, and regulated sleep patterns- even the beloved raw foods, which I’d scarfed down in the start of my journey, now made me want to retch.

So, why did I try to get them down so often, often enough that I eventually succeeded in swallowing, re-developing cravings, and setting my spiritual clocks back to their old times? One Answer: I chose to stop those practices which balanced my emotions. For me, the implementation of those practices is key to achieving the open heart and calm disposition necessary for this particular health regime. I believe my choice emerged from a few motivating factors. Two of these are 1) a lack of direction for my energy 2) an unfulfilled desire to express myself and connect with others. I, now, believe rectifying each of these is integral to sustaining the life I chose to run away from.

So, I have a to-do list. As I practice these things, I hope my vision of change can be realized soon. If anyone is interested in a brief description of what I am and am not doing, I’ll include that in another post, or email. Not sure yet what I’ll do...besides the list. If you are beginning again, in any facet of your life, I encourage you to stick this out with me. Share your thoughts, and we may be able to grow together.

While I'm on the fence about divulging the entirety of my spiritual experiences, spirituality and its interlocking connections with food, lifestyle, and..even, the way I display my hair are all topics for conversation. These all play a major role in my development as a person, and if common sense is steering me toward the right conclusion, I'd guess I'm not the only sister for which these statements ring true.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sistah,

came to your blog via your comments on afrikan.wordpress.com.

You seem to be as amazed as I am about finding common black warrior princes/ses on the journey towards reclaiming all that we are. I see pieces of the puzzle called my self reflected in your words & acknowledge & honour the one force beyond them.

I look fwd to reading more about the steps on your journey!

Love & sunshine,
Chantal-Fleur

hyts said...

That was very nice to hear Chantal-Fleur. I'll have to get back on the job of documenting these experiences. Hope to talk with you soon.